Privacy Notice for Norwich Buddhist Centre Users.
This Privacy Notice tell you how we will use and store the information you give us when you book a course of event with Norwich Buddhist Centre or choose to join one of our mailing lists. Please note: The wording in this document reflects the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Data Controller: Norwich Buddhist Centre
Norwich Buddhist Centre collects and processes personal data relating to individuals accessing their services in order to manage the relationship between Norwich Buddhist Centre and the individual. Norwich Buddhist Centre is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations.
Norwich Buddhist Centre Team
Norwich Buddhist Centre, 14 Bank Street, Norwich, NR2 4SE
What information does Norwich Buddhist Centre collect?
Norwich Buddhist Centre collects and processes a range of information about you when you access our services. This information may be collected in a number of ways. For example, data might be collected in person, via email or via the Norwich Buddhist Centre website when you book on an event or course, ask to use our library or request to receive publicity and information from us.
Data may be stored in a range of different places, including:
- On virtual databases on Norwich Buddhist Centre’s IT Network and secure backup disks,
- In paper folders in a locked cabinet at Norwich Buddhist Centre,
- In financial records,
- On other IT systems (including Norwich Buddhist Centre’s website database, email system, Gmail account and Mailchimp database)
This data may include:
- Name, address, contact details, including email address, phone number, emergency contact details / next of kin
- Norwich Buddhist Centre website login information
- Information about events booked
- Gender, Triratna status (attendee, Mitra, GFR, order member, including significant dates), Order name
- Gift aid preferences
- Library number
- Medical requirements, dietary requirements (when booking retreats)
- Mailing and marketing preferences.
- information to identify if you are under 18 years old – this is to allow us to follow safeguarding procedures.
Norwich Buddhist Centre website also collects information about your use of our website including IP address, how much time you spend on the site and what you like to view, from both registered users and general visitors to the site. This data is used solely to manage the website, track usage and improve our website services. This information does not identify the user personally and may be shared with third-parties to provide more relevant services, for example with google analytics
Why does Norwich Buddhist Centre process personal data?
Norwich Buddhist Centre has a legitimate interest in processing personal data before, during and after you use our services. Processing data from individuals who use Norwich Buddhist Centre and our services allows us to:
- Manage the booking process;
- Make future bookings quicker and easier to make and to process;
- Inform you of changes to courses or events and send out course materials;
- Manage payments and donations;
- Claim gift aid where relevant;
- Organise retreats, including organising lift sharing, dietary requirements for meals or contacting your next of kin in case of an emergency;
- Contact relevant groups about events and other communications (e.g. contacting Mitras about upcoming Mitra events), including requests for support or donations;
- Manage library reservations and
- Manage your marketing and unsubscribe preferences
- Arrange and manage lift-shares to events
- Contact you about other courses or events that you may be interested in
Norwich Buddhist Centre may process special categories of data, such as gender information. We may also collect information about health or medical conditions to allow us to make reasonable adjustments or ensure accessibility to events.
We may use your email address to send you information regarding our classes, offers and events. However, we will only do so if you have given us your permission. If you change your mind at a later date simply click on the word 'Unsubscribe' on the relevant email newsletter.
Norwich Buddhist Centre will not use your data for any purposes other than those stated in this policy.
Who has access to data?
Your information may be shared internally for the purposes of the running the Centre and Centre activities. This includes, when appropriate, event organisers and teachers (including outreach group organisers), the Centre team, Mitra convenors, the Chair and council, our webmaster and volunteers if necessary for performance of their roles.
Norwich Buddhist Centre will only share your data with third parties in the following cases
- MailChimp where subscribed to one or more of our mailing lists,
- Our website/email host Dharmachakra
- Our webmaster
- Our accountant
- SAGE Pay where payments have been made via online bookings
- Where relevant and upon request, other event attendees (to arrange lift-sharing to events).
The server that hosts Norwich Buddhist Centre website and email, and the Mailchimp and Google Mail servers are situated in the United States, so your data may be transferred outside the European Economic Area in these cases. These hosts adhere to the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks which comply with General Data Protection Requirements.
MailChimp may process your data in the following ways: collecting data such as via sign-up forms; storage of personal data within our MailChimp account in order to allow us to create and use distribution lists, send marketing email campaigns, and place online advertisements; and the transfer of personal data to certain of MailChimp’s sub-processors who perform some critical services, such as helping MailChimp prevent abuse and providing support to customers.
Norwich Buddhist Centre will never sell or trade your personal data or disclose your personal information to any third party unless we believe that disclosure is necessary to conform to legal requirements, to protect our rights, to protect the safety of members of the public or those attending Norwich Buddhist Centre, or for data processing purposes as stated above relating to website and email hosting.
How does Norwich Buddhist Centre protect data?
Norwich Buddhist Centre takes the security of your data seriously. We have internal policies and controls in place to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except as described above. Refer to the Data Protection Procedure for more information. Access to Norwich Buddhist Centre databases is restricted to the Norwich Buddhist Centre team, Mitra convenors, teachers / course leaders, relevant volunteers, the Chair and Council members where necessary. All Employees and Volunteers are made aware of the Norwich Buddhist Centre Data Protection Procedure and Retention Period Policy, and given relevant training on Data Protection.
For how long does the organisation keep data?
Norwich Buddhist Centre will hold your personal data for the duration of your use of our services, until you ask us to remove you from our systems or withdraw your consent. Once you withdraw your consent or ask to be removed from our system, your data is deleted or destroyed. Please refer to our Retention Period Policy for more details.
As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:
- Access and obtain a copy of your data on request;
- Require the organisation to change incorrect or incomplete data;
- Require the organisation to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing; and
- Object to the processing of your data where the organisation is relying on its legitimate interests as the legal ground for processing.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact the Norwich Buddhist Centre Team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01603 627034
If you believe that Norwich Buddhist Centre has not complied with your data protection rights, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.
What if you do not provide personal data?
You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide data to the organisation during your use of our services. However, if you do not provide the information, we may not be able to process your bookings, library access or marketing preferences properly or at all.
Certain information, such as contact details and information requested for bookings, library use and mailing lists, have to be provided to enable Norwich Buddhist Centre to provide you with access to our services. If you do not provide some of this information, it may hinder Norwich Buddhist Centre’s ability to provide you with our services and to enter into a relationship with you.
Our data processes are not based solely on automated decision-making.
We may collect information about the software on your computer (your browser version etc.) and your IP address (your connection with the internet) to improve your interaction with the Website and for our records. This may happen automatically without your being aware of it.